Tuesday, May 31, 2011

The Missing Piece

Contributed by:
Eric Dunaway
small groups pastor

One summer I preached a sermon on community (something I should be apt to do, given my role at PCC). Following our Saturday service, I grilled Amanda with the usual questions, leading off with, "So how was it?" Her response was, "Well...I'm not sure." That's not a good sign. I protested, "How could you betray me like this!" (not really) Her response actually confirmed something I was already feeling: something was missing.

I was immediately stricken with a restlessness, knowing that I had to get up and preach three more services the next morning; knowing that my message was missing something, not sure what it was. Then Amanda pinpointed the shortfall - it was missing Jesus. I was going to great lengths teaching on various aspects of community, but it wasn't pointing to Jesus, the very reason for our fellowship. Thankfully, I had time to correct the issue. The next morning my beautiful and honest wife confirmed that the message was much better. Of course, she took credit for everything.

Do you feel like something’s missing? Is there a lack of security, an absence of certainty, a restlessness that's robbing you of peace? This past weekend, Ron challenged us with this idea: no peace = a missing piece. As I listened to this, I realized the number of times I've encountered this missing piece, something I think we've all experienced. It's almost alarming how subtly it invades our consciousness. We expect it in times of trial. Crisis has a way of diminishing the peace in our lives, and we're quick to realize that something is missing.

We may be surprised, however, to experience this missing piece even in the midst of thriving and success. Good job, good pay, good health - life is good. Then how can we still feel that something is missing? How can we still be void of peace?

When there's no peace, there's a missing piece. We've been there (maybe we're there right now), and we've more than likely tried to fit something in to fill the void of the missing piece. What piece are you trying to fit in its place? More money? Less debt? More toys? More trips? A prettier house? A cooler car? New relationships? New job? New town? Maybe we try pieces that seem good, like more Bible studies, more serving, more giving, etc. After all this, however, we find that peace still eludes us, the critical piece still missing.

This past weekend, we learned this name for God, Jehovah Shalom, God is our Peace. He is the only piece that can fill the void of restlessness, fear, worry and doubt. We fail to experience peace because we forget who God is, we compromise in our lack of reverence, and we leave God behind. But we must realize that God is the missing piece and that he alone can lead us to true and lasting peace. It's only through our return to God, reflecting on his Word, releasing the void to God, and repenting of our sins that we begin to enter His peace. And that peace is good; it's complete. His peace goes beyond our understanding, and He desires that we live in the peace of knowing we are walking obediently with Him.

Here are some things to think about:
  1. What pieces are you trying to fit into your life in hopes of finding peace?
  2. What's keeping you from knowing Jehovah Shalom, God is our Peace? Does the idea of surrendering to His will seem frightening or fulfilling?
  3. What changes do you feel God leading you to make so that you can enter into his peace?

No comments:

Post a Comment