Monday, December 7, 2009

Weekend Reflection: The Lord is My Shepherd

Contributed by:
Eric Dunaway
small groups pastor

This past weekend, Ron challenged us with a message out of the 23rd Psalm that reminded us that God's still in control even though my world feels out of control. When our world feels out of control, how can we rest in the assurance that God is in control? As I listened to his message, I jotted down just a few things that I think would be great for you to take back to your group for further discussion.

Reflect together on Psalm 23

1. What are some things that have happened recently that have reminded you how little control you have in this life? How have these things impacted your experience with God?

2. How well do you know God? What images come to mind when you think of God? In what areas do you think God might be urging you toward growth?

Reflect on this quote together, and discuss what this means for you:
Never trade what you don't know for what you do know. 

How did this message impact you? What steps do you feel God leading you to take in light of this message? How can your group encourage one another to follow through and take those steps?

Did you miss the message this weekend? Check out the podcast.

Questions, thoughts, or suggestions for further discussion? Post a comment!

3 comments:

  1. Recently I read C.S. Lewis' book 'Til We Have Faces.' This book had a huge impact on me. It gave me a huge shove in the direction that I needed to head.
    C.S. Lewis speaks of honesty and how we can hinder who we're meant to be by not being honest about how we feel towards people; how we feel towards God. (this might have to be a very personal thing: between God and you alone).
    Through this book, God inspire me to open up and be honest with Him. Learning to be so, when I hadn't done nearly all of my life, cleansed me and helped me to move forward with a lot of things I had been battling.
    So, this is one way that God has worked in my life, of which I had no idea would impact me so profoundly. Sometimes its the little things which we don't expect that can move us from where we feel stuck.
    This also has taught me so much about God. That we do need to be honest and truthful with Him, and the importance of being so; that He longs for that closeness with us. God knows what we're thinking already, anyway.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great comments! Thanks, Mike & beacbjo! I love what you both had to say, and appreciate you adding to the conversation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Reflecting on "the bigger picture" gives me the encouragement I need for trusting God's control of every detail of my daily life. There's approximately three months between our celebrations of Christmas and Easter yet there were thirty-three years between the first Christmas and the first Easter. Some of the details of those thirty-three years have been recorded for us and much of those stories are literally miraculous. Ever "wonder as you wander" about all of the details that occurred in that time period that made up Christ's life? The everyday occurences that must have frustrated Him to exhaustion? What do you suppose he said when he lost his hammer or when his chisel was hiding in one of the drawers of the cabinet he was making and he didn't remember where he laid it? Scripture assures us there is no trial we have had that he didn't experience. Did the straps ever snap in two on his favorite sandals? As I imagine the most minute details of those thirty-three years I wonder what patience he must have had to learn to take the beatings and hang on the cross for my sins. Every moment of his life he was yielded to the Father -- God was in control. God cared for his Son. One of the most fun parts of the Christmas season for me is thinking about those years of preparation for the cross. Easter was the purpose for Christmas. Easter couldn't have happened for us without the first Christmas. So I like to think of Christmas as the first day of my Easter celebration. What I don't know is all of the details that happened in the years of his preparation to die; but what I do know is that Christmas and Easter were both for me and I'm most grateful.

    Jery Nelson

    ReplyDelete