Thursday, May 27, 2010

Livin' On a Prayer

Contributed by:
Eric Dunaway
small groups pastor

The title for this may have less to do with the actual post itself, and more to do with my love for 80's hairbands. But it is about prayer, so that has to count for something. How is your group doing when it comes to praying together? If you're like most groups, you've probably experienced a few of the following scenarios:

  1. Prayer happens, but is often short, before a meal, or an after-thought following the discussion.
  2. Few people ever volunteer to pray, leaving the facilitator to do it... who may also have some hesitancy about praying in front of others. 
  3. Prayer is mechanical and feels more like a thing to check off the meeting agenda. 
  4. Prayer is skipped all together.
Again, if you've experienced any of these, you're group is normal. Have you ever wondered why this is? I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that we're all at different places in our journey. Add to that the personality dynamics and personal backgrounds represented in your group. And I actually think this is a good thing... why? Because it provides a great opportunity for your group to to grow together in a way that's visible and measurable.

Mark Howell has posted some very practical things you can do to make prayer a more strategic part of your group meetings. Look it over, as I'm sure it will be extremely helpful - especially for you group facilitators. But as a group, make sure you work together on this. Facilitators - make sure you stick with it... be intentional... plan it out... and keep trying.

In our pockets of community prayer is a gift, and a duty. Don't miss this. Accept those in your group for who they are, but lovingly challenge them to grow in this area. As a group, strive to make prayer a fundamental part of your times together.

You can read Mark's post here:
www.markhowelllive.com

Have some questions, comments, or other suggestions? Post a comment below so we can all benefit from the discussion!

4 comments:

  1. I'm finding that going around the group and asking if there are any prayer requests, helps give me an outline while prayering. I know that giving prayer an outline sounds like it would make it "fake" or not heart felt, but it really calms my nerves to know where I'm heading in the prayer. This somehow takes the pressure off of me and lets me relax and speak my heart. Ultimately, I feel my nerves are in a better place for the Holt Spirit to speak through me and to the hearts of those I am praying with.

    ReplyDelete
  2. ok....I did preview you that first and totally missed the typo- Holy Spirit, not Holt Spirit

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for this post-it is very helpful. The biggest challenge I run into as a facilitator is #2 (above). I'm excited about trying out these new ideas that Mark writes about. The one that stuck out to me in Mark's article was #5. While it's nice to pray for others, sometimes it is best to just keep it to what WE would like clarity on in our own lives.
    Thanks,
    Sarah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for chiming in, ladies! I have to be honest in that our group doesn't handle prayer the way we ought to... probably a result of bad leadership :-) I thought Mark's post was inspiring, and I hope to get our group on track with more intentional prayer! I enjoyed hearing your response and your insight!

    ReplyDelete