Monday, April 4, 2011

Finding Victory In the Battle

Contributed by:
Alan Bugg
executive pastor

Growing up with two sisters, one a twin and the other two years older, created interesting dynamics around my home. As the lone boy, my sisters wanted to control me and I wanted nothing to do with it. I thought as the male sibling it was important for me to establish dominance, even though my twin sister matured faster and grew six inches taller than me by the seventh grade. My twin was athletic, popular, and accepted with the “in kids” and I was left only to watch, as the “shrimp” of the family and my class.

THE CONFLICT
In an effort to cope, I responded in the way that Pastor Ron spoke about in his message from James 4 this past weekend. I was one of the ones that knew how to create conflict. I had all these desires to be accepted and popular and athletic. To compensate for my lack of abilities, I would exert myself by creating fights and quarrels because of my uncontrolled and unfulfilled desires.

THE CAUSE
Now many of you might be thinking, “Yeah, but as a seventh grader that’s a natural and healthy response.” The only problem with that type of thinking is that once the pattern is set it continues into high school and all the way into adulthood. Why? Because as James 4:4-5 points out, you become the center of your universe. We have a popular saying around my house today. When one of us becomes self-absorbed we affectionately refer to them as “Globe-Head.” You know… the world seems to revolve around you. It’s a subtle reminder that it’s not all about me and what I want. As Pastor Ron so eloquently put it “Pride leads to death; the death of pride leads to resurrection.”

THE CURE
Many of us today battle pride that is deep rooted because of our past. It might be because of hurts, or disappointments, where we take on the victim mentality. It can be because of successes we have experienced in our lives and we somehow think we are better than others. No matter what the cause, God has the cure. God has been working in my own heart and life in this area. Victory comes when you submit to Him (make God the focus and authority of your life); resist the temptation and lies of the devil; draw near to God (engage personally in relationship with Him); and humble yourself before Him (come with an open hand not a clenched fist). Then the contentment and peace that flows from His abundant grace will overwhelm you and keep you in His mighty love. I don’t know about you, but for me, allowing God to lead and direct my life sure is sweeter than my futile attempts to be in control.

  1. What areas of your life are you still trying to control?
  2. Are you holding on to pride because of past hurts, disappointments or successes?
  3. Are you experiencing the death associated with pride, or are you experiencing resurrection in the death of pride?

No comments:

Post a Comment